HISTORY OF THE COLEMAN COUNTY TELEPHONE COOP
By 1958, six area telephone exchanges had been purchased by the Coleman County Telephone Cooperative, Inc. These included the Trickham Exchange purchased from Mr. and Mrs HB James, the Hall Telephone Exchange at Fisk, purchased from Ralph Hall, the Valera Telephone Exchange purchased from Mr. and Mrs. HT Crenshaw, the Gouldbusk Free Rural Telephone Company of Gouldbusk, the Santa Anna Telephone Exchange and the Burkett Telephone Exchange of Burkett purchaswed from VC and Rita Adams. In July of 1954, CCTC applied for and received the first REA loan in the amound of $540,000.00 to be repaid with 2% interest. With the aquisition of this loan, rapid progress was made within the cooperative. By 1961, all exchanges had cut over to the dial system and by January, 1964, local operators were no longer needed due to swtiching to unattended operation.
In order to accomodate the rapidly growing membership, new office and plant facilities were constructed in 1964 in Santa Anna. The Santa Anna exchange grew so rapidly that by 1968 all available lines were in use. It then became necessary to install 200 additional lines.
Our tariff, which established rules and regulations for our Cooperative, was ratified and adopted in August 1976. Over the past several years, with the approval of the Public Utility Commission, amendments have been made in order to update the tariff.
A major improvement for CCTC came about in late 1977 with the cutover to all private lines in all exchanges. Today, we serve approximately 1600 subscribers over a 280 square mile area. CCTC celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2003.
CCTC formed Coleman County Telecommunications, LTD. in 1989, which led to the offerings of new services not only to CCTC members, but also for new customers outside of our membership area. Coleman County Telecommunications, Ltd.'s subsidiary, Web-Access, is a vital part of CCTC's continued growth in the telecommunications arena, offering high speed wireless and dial-up internet, as well as high speed DSL to most of our rural membership areas. CCTC remains committed to expanding its DSL network to all of the rural communities it serves.
George Johnson served as CCTC's first manager from May, 1954, to February, 1956. He was followed by Allyn Gill who served from March, 1956, to May, 1967. Upon his resignation, Thomas Wristen filled the position until his retirement in June, 1983. Danny Keller served as manager from June 1983 until January of 1998, and Michael R. Walton served from April of 1998 until August of 2007. Tim Humpert was hired in April of 2008, and currently serves as manager of CCTC.